Saturday, May 29, 2010

Module 5 Blog: New Technologies

This school year, my students participated in the Monster Exchange Project online at www.monsterexchange.org. The project basically deals with descriptive writing. Two classes partner with one another and each class draws a monster. They then write about the monster so that the other class can draw the monster from their descriptions only. After the monsters have been redrawn, each class uploads the drawing and the students are able to see how well they drew the monster based on the descriptions. My kids loved it and I told my coworkers about the project, trying to encourage them to do it, also. Needless to say, they were lukewarm at best; they wondered why I was doing the project in the first place. They stated that with our busy schedules they just did not have time. Later in the year, when I posted our drawings in the hallway and wrote a summary of what we did with the project, I was looked upon as an overachiever.

Based on Keller’s ARCS model, there are things that I could have done that might have made them more interested. First, I should have discussed the importance of this technology and the benefits our students would gain. I could have then determined the teachers’ personal goals with their students and related that with the project. Showing the teachers the project online would have also been beneficial. They would have realized that the project is simple and doesn’t consume a lot of time. Lastly, I could have helped them with setting up the project. Perhaps if I would have been a little more persistent, I would have been a little more successful.

Holly

Reference:

Driscoll, M. P. (2005). Psychology of learning for instruction (3rd ed.). Boston: Pearson Education, Inc.

**I posted responses to the following:
Carol Lee at http://carollee387.blogspot.com/
Wandra Coffield at http://wpc-eductech.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment